Saint Andrew Chapel, as well as Saint Francis of Assisi Church in Walhalla, was a mission of Saint Joseph Church in Anderson until 1940. At that time a parish of 10,000 square miles was created. The new Saint Andrew Parish included Oconee and Pickens Counties and parts of northern Anderson County. The Paulist Fathers staffed the parish for the next 66 years. In 1996 Father Alexander McDonald became the first Diocesan priest to pastor the parish.
Saint Andrew Chapel has a seating capacity of 84. With a combined student and local resident Catholic
population of only 48 at the time of its construction, Bishop Emmet Walsh commented to the 30 or
so people attending the dedication on December 8, 1935, “Perhaps we have overbuilt.”
Saint Andrew Parish also provides Campus Ministry for students at Clemson University and other area colleges.